In this village the new church of the Virgin of Malta (Panagia Maltesa) is worth visiting. In it is housed the wonderful carved wooden templon on the older church which was destroyed in the earthquakes of 1956. On the templon scenes from the Old Testament are depicted. The village is located on the caldera rim, north of Fira. Many of the houses have been rebuilt, giving a vital picture of the affluence brought by tourism in recent years. Between Firostefani and Imerovigli stands alone the impressive Skaros Rock. Steep, narrow steps lead to its summit, from where there is an enchanting view. In the background right, Oia, and opposite, the island of Therassia. A solitary church stands sentinel in front of Skaros, the imposing rock scattered with the ruins of the island’s Venetian capital.